Monday, March 23, 2009

Gardening

This year I am making my first real attempt at gardening. Last year, I thought about it and even planted some tomatoes (a little late in the year) and was even able to eat a few before the first frost. This year, however, I am making a much more serious attempt. I have already started a little greenhouse in my laundry room. The plants (plum tomatoes, large tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, lettuce, and peppers) should be ready to put in the garden around early May at which time, I will also be planting corn, carrots, onions, and potatoes directly into the garden. Between now and then, I need to find or rent a rototiller (I believe that's the type I need) because our yard is very compacted and I'm basically starting from scratch. Although, this will be my first garden, I am lucky to have a father, who maintained a vegetable garden throughout a substantial part of my childhood, and a grandfather, who at 85 is still an active gardener, to help answer any questions I may have. I consider this kind of an adventure. I am sure that I will end up with more vegetables than our small family will eat, but I have lots of friends and family in the area who will enjoy the extra and this should save us a lot of money on vegetables. So far I've spent $42.66 on tools, seeds, plant food, etc. I probably spend about that much or more in a couple months on vegetables, and don't get nearly as much for my money. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works out. I am hoping to have enough food to keep our family as well as several of our family members and a few friends well-stocked this summer!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!
    I'll be expanding my garden this year from 3 beds to 4, as the CSA we usually are part of is No longer in existence this year. 1 word of caution....if you are planting zucchini squash don't plant more than 1 or 2 plants, unless you really REALLY Like Zucchini. They are truly prolific and you will be over run zukes. Also with the seeds you are sowing directly into the garden, try staggering when you sow. That will give you plants maturing at different dates, thus giving you a continuous harvest through the season, instead of just a LOT of veggies in one short section of the season. It helps keep the potential food waste down from having more than you can eat or put up at any one time.
    HTH and make sure you post updates and photos of your successes in the garden! ;-))

    ReplyDelete