Monday, January 19, 2009

3 Cheese Chicken and Penne Pasta


















I found the original recipe in the Kraft food and family magazine (p.22) that I received in the mail last week.

We didn't have the same cheese the magazine listed nor did we have the spinach, so I made do with the cheese I could find in the refrigerator: Cheddar cheese slices, Parmesan cheese the sprinkle stuff mixed with the shredded, and American (the white stuff, not the yellow kind) slices. I also substituted parsley for the spinach. I'm sure it isn't the same, but I like parsley and I do not like spinach, so I was happy with the substitution.

Ingredients:
- 3 different types of cheese
- Penne pasta (we used the whole grain--I got it for about $.19 at Publix a while back)
-1 jar of Pasta sauce (You can still use the shortcuts coupon with the $.75/2 coupon at Kroger on the Ragu. I think I spent about $.33 each but that's because two shortcuts coupons came off my price)
-2 chicken breasts or equivalent amount of chicken, cubed into bite-size pieces
-Spinach (or parsley)
-1 can of diced tomatoes

Boil the pasta until tender.
Cook the chicken in a skillet until done.
Add the diced tomatoes, pasta sauce, parsley and let it simmer for about 3 minutes.
Then mix all ingredients together and pour into casserole dish or pan.
Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 350 degrees.
Remove from oven, cover with cheeses and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes!

1 comment: